numeric/numpy/numarray

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 10 14:53:00 EDT 2006

"Alex Martelli" <aleax at mac.com> wrote in message
news:1hgwwnm.lhpxrs1gkfp6N%aleax at mac.com...
> I'll voice a heretic thought: me, I'm sticking with good old Numeric
> until the situation with the newer packages settles down.

Not much of a heresy, I think.  The numpy site recommends that *new* users
start with numpy but I don't remember the numeric/numpy folks recommending
that happy, experienced numeric users dump it yet.  The current development
version of numpy is still labelled as a development version (0.9.8, I
believe) and besides bug fixes, it still made a few tweeks in the user
interface and C-API from the previous version.  They are aiming to release
a stable NumPy 1.0 by the end of the summer.  Then maybe they will start
pushing it, along with a compatible array interface for Python.

Terry Jan Reedy