numeric/numpy/numarray

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 15:13:43 EDT 2006

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Alex Martelli" <aleax at mac.com> wrote in message
> news:1hgwwnm.lhpxrs1gkfp6N%aleax at mac.com...
>> I'll voice a heretic thought: me, I'm sticking with good old Numeric
>> until the situation with the newer packages settles down.
>
> Not much of a heresy, I think.  The numpy site recommends that *new* users
> start with numpy but I don't remember the numeric/numpy folks recommending
> that happy, experienced numeric users dump it yet.  The current development
> version of numpy is still labelled as a development version (0.9.8, I
> believe) and besides bug fixes, it still made a few tweeks in the user
> interface and C-API from the previous version.  They are aiming to release
> a stable NumPy 1.0 by the end of the summer.  Then maybe they will start
> pushing it, along with a compatible array interface for Python.

My tactic in answering Numeric questions on this list has been to give the numpy
answer if the asker seems new to the field and give the Numeric answer *and* the
(obviously superior) numpy answer otherwise.

But that's mostly my natural politeness and tact (quit laughing. I can hear you
sniggering back there!). We definitely *do* want old hands at Numeric to give
numpy a try now. It's difficult to find the bugs, work out the transition
headaches, and make the right design decisions without feedback from you.

We are trying to get out a 1.0b1 in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, we can get to
1.0b2 by the SciPy conference in mid-August. If you've been holding off on
trying numpy, the 1.0 betas will be the perfect time to jump in. It will also be
your last chance to get your 2 cents in.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco