threading troubles

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 02:27:05 EDT 2006

sreekant wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> What am I doing wrong in the following? I just want to run fluidsynth in
> the background.

Others have pointed you at os.popen.  In non-crippled languages, use
processes (e.g. popen) when you wish to preserve the years of hard work
that OS designers put into protected memory.  Use threads only when you
know why you want to abandon such and share all memory.   95% or more
of the time when you're making the multiprocessing decision, threads
are the wrong choice.  5% (or less) of the time they're indispensable.
But if you're just looking for asychronous processing and don't know
why you need to abandon memory protection, go with processes.