Python linker

byteschreck at googlemail.com byteschreck at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 18 06:38:36 EDT 2006

I love python - I use it as a utility language to complement my C#
programming every day. However, the reason I do not use it as my
primary language is - surprise, surprise - not its lack of static type
checking, but the size of standalone executes  (which embed the python
runtime).

Would it be possible to link only the used functions into your
resulting executable? After all, a typical application might only use
20% of everything that is in the Python .dlls.

The same applies to wxPython - it would be great if you could only link
in what you need. Would it be possible to write such linkers at all
(maybe based on GCC)?