build problems with Python 2.4.3 under Solaris 10

Victor Ng crankycoder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 14:55:46 EDT 2006

How do I enable readline support for Python under Solaris 10?

I've got CSWreadline installed in /opt/csw from blastwave, but I'm not
having any luck getting the readline.so module compiled.

I'm using:

CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/csw/include" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/csw/lib" ./configure
--prefix=/opt/python/2.4.3 --enable-shared --disable-tkinter
--enable-readline --libdir=/opt/csw/lib  --includedir=/opt/csw/include
--enable-rpath --enable-curses

>From the SciPy page, I've modified the pyconfig.h file after configure is
run so that matplotlib will compile:

http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib/CompilingMatPlotLibOnSolaris10

          2 after extracting it and running ./configure, edit the generated
pyconfig.h as follows:

   -

   i) if _XOPEN_SOURCE is defined to be 600 (i.e., if the line "#define
   _XOPEN_SOURCE 600" appears in the file), redefine it to 500

   ii) if _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED is defined at all (i.e. if the line
   "#define _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED 1" appears in the file), comment out its
   definition

But other than that - I haven't done anything special.  What am I doing
wrong?

vic