Microsoft IronPython?

Dave Benjamin ramen at lackingtalent.com
Wed Jan 4 10:07:22 EST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Kent Johnson wrote:

> Ray wrote:
>> Kay Schluehr wrote:
>>
>>> At least for Jython we already know from the Jython homepage that it is
>>> the great hope of the Java platform to survive in future and far
>>> beyond.
>>
>> Yeah except that it's coming on so slow... we were doing some scripting
>> for our Java app and Groovy won because Jython has been in alpha for
>> YEARS :(
>
> That's a hoot! Of course you can choose what language you like, but to choose
> Groovy over Jython because it is more developed is mind-boggling!
>
> Jython 2.1 has been released, stable and suitable for production use for many
> years. The Groovy community was still working on the *language definition* in
> November 2005 and has yet to deliver a stable final release.

I agree 100% with the above. I've been using Jython in production for two
years now, and it's been rock-solid. A little bit outdated, yes, but you
could do a lot worse than Python 2.1, as far as feature set is concerned.
(Of course, this is not to discourage the Jython team from coming through
with a new stable release. ;)

--
  .:[ dave benjamin: ramen/[spoomusic.com] ]:.