Newbie with some doubts.

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 8 07:50:21 EST 2006

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:47:20 -0500, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> As far as I'm concerned, the definitive work in this area is Meyer's
> "Object Oriented Software Construction". He covers pretty much all the
> uses of OO language features, using a language that was designed
> specifically to support those uses.

Bjarne Stroustrup recommends it, but notes "Tends to confuse Eiffel with
universal principles."

> Be warned that after reading it,
> you're liable to come back to Python and wonder "Why doesn't Python do
> X".

Meyer is too much of a fundamentalist for me, so much of the book just
pisses me off. I expect that many Python programmers would feel the same
way, Python being the way it is.

It's still worth reading though -- especially the part on design
by contract. And all his vicious attacks on things you happen to
dislike, too ;-)

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!