Newbie with some doubts.

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Jan 7 21:59:30 EST 2006

Claudio Grondi <claudio.grondi at freenet.de> writes:
> Yes, I see your point, but even putting my personal preferences
> beside, for someone who just started to program, learning about the
> concept of classes and inheritance is probably not what helps to get
> immediate fun out of first steps in writing small programs, right?

Right. But after that first 10 minutes, the answer depends on what
they want to do. One of the nice things about Python is that it
doesn't insist that everything be an object, so you can do significant
work without having to know how to write a class, and some people get
by that way. One of the other nice things is that it provides lots of
high-powered tools like classes with multiple inheritance and
metaclasses, and these are everday tools to some people.

Until you know where on that spectrum someone falls, I think it's
inappropriate to try and tell them what tools they will or won't
need. Just tell them where they can find the information they asked
for, and wait until they ask "why" instead of "what" to deal whether
that issue.

     <mike