beta.python.org content

Ron Rogers Jr. CronoCloud at mchsi.com
Sat Jan 28 06:58:17 EST 2006

Steve Holden wrote:
> How does
>
>   http://beta.python.org/about/beginners/
>
> look?
>
> regards
>  Steve

Hi, I'm an actualy Python beginner, decided recently to "play" with
Python.  I'm a "user", not a professional programmer or developer of any
sort, so I guess the "beginner's" page would be aimed at folks like me.

It looks fine, degrades pretty well in Dillo.

But.....it needs more Beginners links and info.  The "Why Python" seems
a bit out of place, more akin to something that would be on the beta
home, which looks a little "corporate brochure site" to me.  It also
seems a little "bland" as a beginner site goes. A little bit of "fun"
and "friendliness" in the spirit of "Python for Everyone" might be
something to add.  That's what brought me to Python.  The idea that
Python was not just for people like ESR who've been programmers for
decades, or for corporate types designing applications containing a new
paradigm of competencies in objective oriented programming, but for high
school students, hobbyist programmers and even those who've never
written a line of code in their lives.

It has been suggested that a Google-like hierarchy might be useful and I
agree, though I don't know how that might work in practice. You could
have a bland "brochure" site with the proper buzzwords for the
corporates, another for the devs with late breaking patches, news, RSS
feeds, whatever they need. and one for Education and/or beginners, with
perhaps a colorful friendly look. (but perhaps keeping the same basic
overall base look)

I actually like the look of the current http://www.python.org  It packs
a lot of useful links in one page and it seems "friendly"  Which
probably sounds silly to describe an emotional reaction or "feel" to a
site. Admittedly it doesn't look "corporate" or "slick professional" but
that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I agree with others about the new logo. It lacks a certain, pardon the
expression, "je ne sais quoi". (one of the things that got me interested
in Linux was seeing that penguin associated with the word "Linux" and
making me curious about what that Linux thing was all about)  But it
would make a good logo for a "enterprise.python.org"
"business.python.org"  So perhaps different logos for different purposes?

A cartoony friendly python in front of a blackboard for education
(similar to the Pygame python)

A python reading a book at the base of a larch for a listing of books

That sort of thing.

The python.org site's been useful to me, pointing me to interesting
software, documentation and whatnot. Though I didn't know about IDLE
until I saw it mentioned in a post on Slashdot in a story asking for
recommendations for Python IDE's.  I am "very" new to Python.

CronoCloud (Ron Rogers Jr.)