pdb.py - why is this debugger different from all other debuggers?

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Fri Jan 6 01:23:18 EST 2006

rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:
> For me, it (pdb) is mostly useful for understanding flow of
> control and how objects change as that happens.  I
> find it easier than constantly modifying the source code.

Do take a look at Komodo, in that case.  Idle does a bit of a
job in this direction, and (for me) Komodo takes a great leap.
I can walk through lots of code watching the values I care about
easily in Komodo (in fact I mostly don't care for the "intelli-
sense" fillins while editing).  In fact, I can even "debug" a
python app running on a remote machine and get this ability.
Pretty swift, ehhh?   I have no relationship to ActiveState
except as a happy customer.

--Scott David Daniels
scott.daniels at acm.org