pdb.py - why is this debugger different from all other debuggers?

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 00:34:48 EST 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> Mike> I don't use pdb a lot either - and I write a *lot* of Python.
>
> Ditto.  I frequently just insert prints or enable cgitb.  Sometimes I enable
> line tracing for a specific function and the functions it calls using a
> tracing decorator.  There are lots of things that are easier than breaking
> down and learning how to use pdb. ;-)

I think the degree of familiarity you and Mike have with
Python makes using the intrinsic (for lack of a better
word) tools easier.  For me, having a tool like pdb is a
big help because I am not yet familiar with the all other
options.  (For example, I never heard of cgitb until just
now.)  I am also pretty sure both of you can draw more
conclusions, more reliably, and from less data, then me
so one or two added print statement for you would for
me be 10 or 20.

pdb is light-weight enough that (I hope) it does not
obscure, or change what Python is doing -- something
I worry about with heavier-duty debuggers.  It also
comes with Python which gives it some kind of credibilty
in my mind.

For me, it is mostly useful for understanding flow of
control and how objects change as that happens.  I
find it easier than constantly modifying the source code.