New Python.org website ?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jan 18 04:19:31 EST 2006

Tim N. van der Leeuw wrote:
> Shalabh,
>
> You've managed very well to express the same things I feel about the
> new Python website.
>
> What I especially dislike about the new website are the flashy pictures
> on the front-page with no content and no purpose -- purely boasting but
> nothing to back up your claims.
>
> (I wouldn't mind some sleek pictures there if they weren't desperatly
> trying to advertise success-stories but instead would link to real
> content!)
>
> I do like to overall look-and-feel of the beta site but I hope the bad
> bits get fixed before launch!

What we are desperately missing is people to roll up their sleeves and
help with the process of content conversion and its onward maintenance.
The current beta site content is *far* from complete, and nobody is
married to the particular images on the front-page mock-up (which is
what that is).

The intention of the new system is to allow a much larger group of
people to assist in generating and maintaining the content. If we (the
PSF) don't succeed in recruiting content maintainers then the only
return on the time and money that's been spent will be a new look.

Remarks about the current content of the beta site are inappropriate. If
you want Python success stories to publicize there are plenty of them at

   http://www.pythonology.org/success

The content needs responsible people to maintain it, not a slagging
before it's complete!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119