File permissions script vs shell

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jan 31 08:44:26 EST 2006

jdlists at gmail.com wrote:

> I'm running python on windows and have a program that watches a
> directory and acts on files as they come into the directory.  After
> processing is complete, i delete the file, or in this case attempt
> to....
>
> In the script version I repeatedly get OSError exceptions stating
> permission denied when trying to delete or rename
>
> My exception print out...
> Files system said no: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
> u'D:\\Data\\00-0C-41-DD-87-E5.xml'
>
> But i can go into the python shell and execute...
>
> fileString = 'D:\\Data\\00-0C-41-DD-87-E5.xml'
> import os
> os.unlink(fileString)
>
> and the file deletes fine
>
> Any ideas?  This is on my development windows xp box and i'm the only
> user.

did you close the file correctly after processing it ?

>>> f = open("somefile.txt", "w")
>>> import os
>>> os.remove("somefile.txt")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'somefile.txt'
>>> f.close()
>>> f = open("somefile.txt", "r")
>>> os.remove("somefile.txt")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'somefile.txt'
>>> f.close()
>>> os.remove("somefile.txt")

</F>