How do I dynamically create functions without lambda?

James Stroud jstroud at ucla.edu
Fri Jan 27 16:17:34 EST 2006

Kay Schluehr wrote:
> Russell wrote:
>
>>I want my code to be Python 3000 compliant, and hear
>>that lambda is being eliminated. The problem is that I
>>want to partially bind an existing function with a value
>>"foo" that isn't known until run-time:
>>
>>   someobject.newfunc = lambda x: f(foo, x)
>>
>>The reason a nested function doesn't work for this is
>>that it is, well, dynamic. I don't know how many times
>>or with what foo's this will be done.
>>
>>Now, I am sure there are a half-dozen ways to do this.
>>I just want the one, new and shiny, Pythonic way. ;-)
>

> If you want to code partial application without lambda I recommend
> using the code presented in the accepted PEP 309 that will be
> implemented in the functional module in Python 2.5.
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0309.html
>
> Kay

For anyone who got my last post: sorry, typos....

def f(foo, x):
   print foo, x

def make_newfunc(foo):
   def _newfunc(x, foo=foo):
     f(foo, x)
   return _newfunc

foo = 42    # or "dynamically generated"

newfunc = make_newfunc(foo)

newfunc(14) # output will be "42 14"

newfunc2 = make_newfunc(69)

newfunc(21) # output will be "69 21"

If this doesn't fit your needs, then please elucidate.