Are there memory limits for external C modules?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jan 26 13:01:23 EST 2006

david at quanterium.zzn.com wrote:

> I've been working on an external C module for Python in order to use
> some of the functionality from Ethereal. Right now I'm getting
> segfaults originating from within the Ethereal source code, but the
> same code works fine when used normally (i.e. through Ethereal or
> Tethereal). I'm wondering if there's some sort of memory limitation the
> Python interpreter imposes on the C code it calls that I might be
> running into

no.

I'd suspect, in order:

    you've haven't initialized/configured the Ethereal library correctly
    you're using the Ethereal API in the wrong way
    you're accidentally overwriting some memory area
    you're messing up the reference count for some python object
    you're using the Python API in the wrong way
    some other bug in your code
    a bug in the part of the ethereal API you're using
    a bug in your code
    a bug in the Python API you're using
    a bug in your code

</F>