OT: excellent book on information theory

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 06:20:04 EST 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:

> For an absolutely amazing translation feat, try Michael Kandel's
> Polish-to-English translation of Stanislaw Lem's "The Cyberiad".

Returning to the original book, why did they write a lot of it (at
least the first few pages until I gave up, after having trouble
understanding formulas about concepts I have no such trouble with when
framed in less jargonized from) in unintelligible mathemathical
notation when there's Python?

I prefer a nice Python function over some strange latech symbols. If
not Python there's always pseudo code or good old natural language.
Don't tell me those math formulas are what it 'really' is, or even that
it's more precise that way. The old trick of 'but there are some things
that cannot be expressed in any other way than by using formulas'
doesn't get one many optimization points in my world.

Anton