translating PHP to Python

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Feb 6 00:31:36 EST 2006

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 15:04:32 -0500
Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > The second point won't work, though, because by parent
> > class I mean, simply, the object that created the
> > current object, *not* the class the current class is
> > based on.
>
> Good you clarified that, because "parent" definitely isn't
> used that way  by most other people here.

In Zope programming, for example, "parent" invariably means
neither the superclass nor a factory for the object, but
rather the container object holding the object (like a file
in a directory). This follows the conventional language for
talking about filesystem directory trees, of course.

Just to make sure you're really confused.

But if you're converting PHP to Python, it seems likely that
you will one day encounter Zope.  My impression is that
people do things in PHP that are ordinarily split between
templates (ZPT or DTML) and Python "scripts" in Zope.

Of course, there are a dozen other ways to do
web-programming in Python, too.

Cheers,
Terry