translating PHP to Python

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Feb 5 19:28:29 EST 2006

Magnus Lycka wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>Good you clarified that, because "parent" definitely isn't used that way
>>by most other people here.
>
> Unless they are coding GUIs? I guess it's pretty common that GUI
> controls are contained in other controls called parents. At least
> that's how it's done in wxPython.

Entirely true... good point.  I suppose I should say instead that "in
the context of Object-Oriented Programming, the term 'parent class'
almost universally refers to the superclass of a class, while the term
'parent object' is ambiguous and might refer to the object from which
another object is created provided a reference the creating object is
passed in to the constructor."  :-)

(I notice the OP's original post refers to parent object, while his
clarification refers to parent class... to add to the confusion.)

-Peter