how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Mon Feb 13 10:07:18 EST 2006

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Even in mathematics, a tuple, or formally an n-tuple, makes more sense
> to me pronounced the latter if you list out the various pronounciations
> for large n, seems me the _uhs_ outweigh the _oos_.  (There's quadruple
> on one side, but then quintuple, sextuple, septuple, heptuple, octuple,
> etc., etc., etc.)

That's kind of the ironic thing. When I first saw the word, I thought
maybe it was a Python-specific term (even something from a Monty Python
skit, even!). My default pronunciation actually was 'toople', but then I
looked it up to be sure and saw that it comes from words like quadruple,
quintuple, etc. Well, even then, I was pronouncing those words in my
head as 'quintoople', 'sextoople', etc., so that didn't really clarify
it for me! But I think 'quintuple' is probably the more popular choice,
which makes 'tuple' sound more correct, so to speak.

I still have a warm spot for 'toople', though, since that's what I
called it first, but somehow 'tuple' seems less silly (and less like
tupping!)  :)