how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Mon Feb 13 16:10:50 EST 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:52:30 -0800
Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
> Even in mathematics, a tuple, or formally an n-tuple,
> makes more sense  to me pronounced the latter if you list
> out the various pronounciations  for large n, seems me the
> _uhs_ outweigh the _oos_.  (There's quadruple  on one
> side, but then quintuple, sextuple, septuple, heptuple,
> octuple,  etc., etc., etc.)

I doubt that helps much: I pronounce all of those words
(when I use them, which is not too often) as "-toopel". The
only tuple I pronounce with the "-uh-" is "couple", and I
usually call that a "two-tuple" when dealing with Python.

I suspect that even those who would pronounce 'quintuple'
"kwintuhpel" would say 'quintuplicate' as "kwinTOOPlikuht".
(that's the noun, not the verb, which is "kwintoopliKATE").

So what's a 1-element tuple, anyway? A "mople"?  "monople"?
It does seem like this lopsided pythonic creature (1,) ought
to have a name to reflect its ugly, newbie-unfriendly
nature.

Are we having fun yet? ;-)

Cheers,
Terry