Mac OS X Installation Problem

Matt Matt
Sun Feb 19 22:50:56 EST 2006

Kevin Walzer <sw at wordtech-software.com> wrote:

>It's not considered a good idea to trash Apple system files. It's likely
>that system tools that depend on Python (CoreImage scripting comes to
>mind) are now broken and the only way to fix this is to reinstall the OS.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought that Apple had included Python as a
convenience for its customers. I didn't realize it was actually being used by
OS X. My Mac seems to be behaving OK, so maybe I don't use any of the Python
parts, but I will keep that in mind in case it goes haywire in the future.

But this begs the question, how do we upgrade our Python installations if OS X
needs a certain version? Do we leave the pre-installed version alone and run a
second Python installation? I suppose that the various package installers
would know how to do that, right?

Thanks,
Matt