Mac OS X Installation Problem

Matt Matt
Sun Feb 19 22:44:58 EST 2006

aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:

>Edit a ~/.bashrc file to add /usr/local/bin to your PATH.

Hi Alex,

Easier said than done for a non-unix expert. Correct me if I am wrong. Bash
looks at the contents of the PATH variable to decided which directories it
should scan when parsing a command. If I type "Python -v", it will look in all
of those directories for a file called "Python" and then execute it, passing
it the -v parameter. Right?

I've been googling around for about an hour now, and I can't find any
instructions on how to create or edit a .bashrc file. I tried to make one of
my own using bash and nano, but got stuck with the save command. It looks like
I am supposed to use the "M-O" command to save it in Mac format, but I have no
idea how to type that. A search of the nano docs for "M-O" didn't turn up
anything either. I also tried to make a .bashrc file on my Windows box and
copy it to my Mac, but the Finder gave me an error message saying that I'm not
allowed to make files that begin with a dot.

Is there a web page somewhere that explains this?

Thanks,
Matt