Python / Apache / MySQL

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Feb 14 10:00:36 EST 2006

Kalle Anke wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:04:45 +0100, Peter Hansen wrote:
>>Don't optimize prematurely?  If you use something like SQLObject, or any
>>other means of abstracting yourself away from the details of a specific
>>datbase, you won't be particularly tied to it if you decide you need
>>improved performance, or sophistication, or whatever.
>
> That's true ... I was thinking in general terms here (a couple of people I
> know handles huge data sets, genome data type of things, and in their case
> speed is very important)

There is information about SQLite speed starting here
http://www.sqlite.org/speed.html (where it notes that that particular
page is obsolete, but also points to the wiki for more).

The summary would appear to be that SQLite is definitely faster in some
cases, definitely slower in others, and that as usual a measurement of
inadequate speed followed by profiling is essential to knowing what to
do about any of that. :-)

-Peter