newbie needs serious help

Robert Boyd robert.h.boyd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:24:31 EST 2006

On 2/9/06, Hunsberger, Joy <joyh at techni-tool.com> wrote:

> OK. Never used python. I need it to install the Google Sitemap program on
> our WindowsServer2003(SE) server.
>

> I downloaded the Python 2.4.2 msi file, and installed it.
>
> All went well. Now, I have no idea what to do.

> And I tried to launch the python.exe, and type it in there but that doesn't
> work either.

As already mentioned, you were confusing instructions for unix
platforms with the Windows instructions. Installing with the msi and
following the prompts is all that's needed.  You say you launched
python.exe and tried to type 'configure' in it?  If by launching
python.exe means you next saw a command-line like prompt that started
with some info about python, then the >>> prompt characters, that
means you've installed Python and you're done (except for installing
Sitemap). That black window is an interactive shell -- a place to type
Python commands and see a result. You don't have to do that if all you
need is Python installed to support the Google application.