installing python on a server?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sat Feb 11 02:55:40 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:22:07 GMT
John Salerno <johnjsal at NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how complicated it might be to install
> Python on my  server so I can use it for web apps? Is it a
> one-time process, or  something to maintain?

Installing Python on a server is really, really easy.  At
least it is if you have root privileges and a reasonably
well-known platform to install on.

*USING* the Python installation for web applications is a
bit more complicated -- you have many choices about how to
do that.

For my money, the easy way if you are mostly wanting to make
web applications is to use Zope. It has a big up-front
learning curve, but once you get to know it, maintaining
scripts becomes trivially easy to do.

If you have other constraints on your server, or you really
just want a static site with a few dynamic elements, you
might be better served with a lighter-weight package than
Zope, and there's maybe a dozen different ones to choose
from.  Easier to learn, but probably more work in the long
run if you have to do a lot of script work on your site.