installing python on a server?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Feb 10 16:55:21 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how complicated it might be to install Python on my
> server so I can use it for web apps? Is it a one-time process, or
> something to maintain?

I'm not sure what you would expect to maintain.  Do you expect some kind
of "bit-rot" to occur, requiring you to periodically rewrite files
in-place to refresh them (ala "core memory" of ages past)?  ;-)

Generally speaking one needs to maintain software only to upgrade or
reconfigure it (e.g. adding a new package that you'd like to start using
in your web apps).

-Peter