a little more help with python server-side scripting

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Fri Feb 24 11:17:59 EST 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> But isn't this code:
>
> Response.Write('Python Test<br>')
> Response.write('<h3>Smaller heading</hr>')
>
> written using ASP instead of Python?

Listen John. This will be the last time I respond
to this thread, since you just ask more and more
instead of digesting all the information you are
given. Why should we spend time on answers if you
don't read them properly anyway.

I understand that you are confused, but you need to
analyze the material you have been provided. ASP is
not a programming language. The code above shows the
Python ASP API.

Most ASP developers use VBScript, and since ASP is one
of those technologies Microsoft tosses at clueless
people, I'm sure many people who use VBScript in ASP
don't understand the distinction, and those who hire
ASP developers or buy web site development often don't.
These guys will probably also think that Sun's language
Java and Netscape Corp's JavaScript are the same things
too. Clueless.

The example is a bit boring of course, since it doesn't
show anything except a few calls that probably look
almost the same in most languages that can be used in
ASP. If there had just been a loop or something...

Whatever web tool kit you use, there will be an API
that you must learn. An interface for communicating with
these mechanisms that provide the web server interface.

In the web context, there is some sort of request made
from a browser (or spider or whatever) and based on that,
the Python script (CGI, ASP, SkunkWeb PSP or whatever)
must handle the request (if there are parameters to care
about) and produce some kind of response.

In a CGI script, you work on a very low level, and need
to print content-type headers, error codes etc. In ASP,
your API takes care of the details, and you just print
the "meat". This abstraction is managed through the
Response object. I'm sure you can find plenty of help
on the web. Use google.