Evil, evil wxPython (and a glimmer of hope)

Ville Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:49:06 EST 2006

Torsten Bronger wrote:

> Has Wax exceeded the critical mass so that one can be quite certain
> that it will still be maintained, say, next year?  (Sincere question
> since I don't know.)

I was a bit worried about this myself, but after browsing the source I
have to say I'm not terribly so anymore. It's a relatively thin wrapper
over wxPython so you are *almost* using wxPython, but w/o a lot of the
pain & horror, and if Hans Nowak stopped paying attention to it the
maintenance tab could be picked up by someone else rather easily. Also,
wxPython 2.6 is a relatively recent arrival and it's supported, so the
next "breakage point" is relatively far away.

Frankly, I think the time saved by coding for Wax could even exceed the
hypothetical time wasted (in case Wax were discontinued) porting a
finished Wax-using product over to use straight wxPython.

Using Wax (and occasionally peeking at the source) also seems to be a
nice way to learn straight wxPython without being immersed in all the
grossness at once. ;-)