can't use NetcdfFile

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Wed Feb 22 11:15:56 EST 2006

vishalm1975 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to open a Netcdf file using NetcdfFile but I always get an
> import error DLL failed
> even though I've tried using all these:
>
> import Numeric
> from Scientific.IO.NetCDF import NetCDFFile
> from Scientific.IO import NetCDF
> from Scientific import *
> from Scientific.IO.NetCDF import *

Copy & Pasting the exact error message helps tremendously.

> I've got Scientific,Numeric and numpy installed

Are you sure you have them installed successfully? How did you install
them? (Precompiled or from source, and if so, with which compiler?)
IIRC, Scientific doesn't come with the NetCDF, you have to install the
NetCDF library separately.
(See http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/ for download.) After
installing the NetCDF library, you might need to reinstall Scientific to
  get it to recognize the NetCDF install.

You might also want to check out
http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/mmtk_wiki/WindowsInstallation - strictly
speaking, it's installation instructions for MMTK, but you can ignore
the final steps of installing MMTK, if you want.

If you need further help, you can always try a more specific resource,
like the MMTK mailing list -
http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/mmtk (MMTK is written by the
same person (Konrad Hinsen) as Scientific, and depends on Scientific.)