Hi reliability files, writing,reading,maintaining

John Pote johnpote at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 18:45:01 EST 2006

Thanks for all the replies,

> <cut from Cameron Laird>
> Also, the whole idea of basing reliability on HTTP uploads of 50 bytes
> at a time sounds to me a bit ... strained.  There *must* be simpler
> ways--and simpler goes a long way in the direction of trustworthy.

The motivation to look at http: is the widespread avaiability of internet
connections and standard servers able to run CGI scripts. In particular the
availability of low cost GPRS modems (solar panel and/or wind gen) is very
attractive for remote locations where there is  no power, telephone line or
cable company.

However, I take your point about HTTP uploads of 50 or so bytes is a little
overhead heavy. Recently I've come to know of reasonably priced fully
managed dedicated servers in secure buildings. So I am now thinking of a
direct TCP/IP port connection. I know Python can do this as I found the
appropriate standard modules and set up a simple proving system on my
private network (one port listener, one sender - no problem!). Are there
security issues in this approach?

I realise http: reliability is not a great as it might be but we have a
reasonable amount of time for re-tries (an hour or two) if some packets get
lost. My recent experience of telneting to our server in London (I'm in the
midlands) is quite revealing. Round trip time is generally sub .5 sec. Makes
me think all that waiting for web pages is the server rather than the
internet itself.

Any thoughts on *simpler* ways to achieve my goal of remote data to web
servers greatly appriciated.

It would still be useful to have anyones thoughts on securely writing the
data to disk files. The off the shelf "military" approach suggested by
Martin Hellwig is outside our budget.

Thanks again.

John

news:ktpsb3-avr.ln1 at lairds.us...