spaces at ends of filenames or directory names on Win32

Fri Feb 24 04:51:54 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:49:31 -0600, Larry Bates wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:30:22 -0600, Larry Bates wrote:
>>
>>> How about not naming files with leading and trailing spaces on
>>> the Mac?  Seems like a bad habit that needs breaking ;-).
>>
>> Why is it a bad habit? Because *Windows* is primitive enough that it can't
>> cope with leading and trailing spaces? I don't see why Windows' lack is
>> Mac users' problem.
>>

> It is a problem because the poster says it is a problem for him.

Absolutely.

Now read my statement again. Why is it a problem for the Mac _users_?

I use Linux, Windows and Mac, in varying amounts. I'm fully aware of the
problems of transferring files from one platform to another. When it
affects _me_, I may choose to dumb down to the lowest common denominator
so as to save _me_ problems. But wearing my user hat, if a developer came
to me telling me I had to avoid using features on my platform of choice in
order to make his life easier, I'd say to him "So why exactly are we
paying you the big bucks? That's your problem, you solve it."

--
Steven.