spaces at ends of filenames or directory names on Win32

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Sat Feb 25 17:02:26 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 17:49:31 -0600, Larry Bates wrote:
>
>> Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>>> Why is it a bad habit? Because *Windows* is primitive enough that it can't
>>> cope with leading and trailing spaces? I don't see why Windows' lack is
>>> Mac users' problem.
>>>

>> It is a problem because the poster says it is a problem for him.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> Now read my statement again. Why is it a problem for the Mac _users_?
>
> I use Linux, Windows and Mac, in varying amounts. I'm fully aware of the
> problems of transferring files from one platform to another. When it
> affects _me_, I may choose to dumb down to the lowest common denominator
> so as to save _me_ problems. But wearing my user hat, if a developer came
> to me telling me I had to avoid using features on my platform of choice in
> order to make his life easier, I'd say to him "So why exactly are we
> paying you the big bucks? That's your problem, you solve it."

I understand you completely, but its a problem for the Mac users because
their company needs to do something with their files that is making it
hard.  I see no difference than if some user chose to use some obscure
spreadsheet or wordprocessing program that works extremely well for them
but is completely incompatible with all other users in the organization.
Why is it their problem?  Because it makes it difficult for others to
work with their data.  I don't believe for a minute you would tell them
"It is ok to keep using your wordprocessing software, if we can't read
the files that's our problem, we will write something to convert them
to a more usable format.  It will only take about 500/1000/2000 hours
to fix for you Mr. _user_."

Funny how we got here.  I just made a suggestion as to how the user can
make the problem go away altogether and my suggestion that it was a bad
habit did have a smiley ;-) as you will note.

-Larry Bates