Literal Escaped Octets

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 6 08:39:17 EST 2006

Chason Hayes wrote:
> I am trying to convert raw binary data to data with escaped octets in
> order to store it in a bytea field on postgresql server. I could do this
> easily in c/c++ but I need to do it in python. I am not sure how to read
> and evaluate the binary value of a byte in a long string when it is a non
> printable ascii value in python. I read some ways to use unpack from the
> struct module, but i really couldn't understand where that would help. I
> looked at the MIMIEncode module but I don't know how to convert the object
> to a string. Is there a module that will convert the data? It seems to me
> that this question must have been answered a million times before but I
> can't find anything.
>

> See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype-binary.html
> for a description of the problem domain.

The URL you reference is discussing how you represent arbitrary values
in string literals. If you already have the data in a Python string the
best advise is to use a parameterized query - that way your Python DB
API module will do the escaping for you!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119