2.4.2 + Zone Alarm

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 20:21:29 EST 2006

DannyB <dbough77 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> IIs there a fix?  I'm pretty sure that this problem started with 2.3.1
> (i'm suing 2.4.2).

Well, good look in court, then...!-)

Seriously, looks like we've omitted a SO_REUSEADDR somewhere in the IDLE
startup code, so that abrupt termination of an IDLE socket keeps the
socket non-reusable for a while; if so, then ZoneAlarm seems innocent
for once (try disconnecting your computer from the net, terminate
ZoneAlarm, and see if you can reproduce the bug).

I can't look into it right now, but if you open a bug on the Python bug
tracker (http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=5470) somebody will (look
into it, for sure, and hopefully fix it in time for 2.4.3).

Thanks,

Alex