How do I dynamically create functions without lambda?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 23:05:14 EST 2006

Benji York <benji at benjiyork.com> wrote:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > Disagree -- far more people THINK they're clever, than really ARE
> > clever.  According to a recent article in the Financial Times, over 40%
> > of a typical financial firm's employees firmly believe they are among
> > the 5% best employees of the firm -- and the situation, believe me, is
> > no different in programming.
>
> It's apparently no different anywhere:
> http://www.phule.net/mirrors/unskilled-and-unaware.html

Tx.  Maybe it's a genetically adaptive trait: the FT points out that
while there is little correlation between an employee's opinion of their
skills, and the employee's actual performance, there IS positive
correlation between said opinion and the employee's career advancement.
One way to explain the correlation is: if you truly (albeit perhaps
mistakenly) believe you're great, you project that and are more likely
to get promotions or raises, than is somebody else, perhaps objectively
better, who's torn by self-doubt and projects THAT.

My working hypothesis would be that this effect would be far stronger in
fields where it's hard to get hard quantitative measures of performance,
so the managers (or clients, etc) rely to a large extent on subjective
judgment which can be influenced by such "projections"...

Alex