v2.3, 2.4, and 2.5's GUI is slow for me

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Dec 1 14:34:34 EST 2006

Michael.Coll-Barth at VerizonWireless.com wrote:

>> I don't use IDLE too much anymore, just for quick tests, but
>
> Just curious.  I have tried IDLE, but stopped using it after going
> through a few of the tutorials.  I just type things in at the 'python'
> prompt, regardless of which platform I am working on; Linux, AIX or
> Windows.  But, then again, my code winds up in a batch process or part
> of a web app.
>
> Is there something cool I am missing?

The main plus of idle for me is that in interactive mode I can easily pull
back any single statement (e.g. a complete class definition) edit and then
re-execute it. The command line only pulls back single lines for editing,
not complete statements.

Also the ways to pull back a previous command are simpler. As well as
typing the start of a command then using alt-p to pull it back you can look
through the buffer, put the cursor on a command and hit return to get an
editable copy.