Window, Windows, Linux, client and server...

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Thu Dec 7 19:38:56 EST 2006

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <mailman.1244.1165485476.32031.python-list at python.org>,
> Gabriel Genellina  <gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> >At Thursday 7/12/2006 05:28, nelson - wrote:
> >
> >>   i'm trying to implement an appllication with this two requirements.
> >>I have a server and some clients. I want to be able to launch an
> >>application (openoffice impress, for example) and display what i'm
> >>doing on the server on the client. Conversely, I want to be able to
> >>have a picture of the desktop client. Is it a thing that i can do in
> >>python? any advice? I googled but i can't find something too useful...
> >>  II know i can use vnc, but i want a pure python solution... if it's
> >>possibile... Doing it using VNC it seems not so "clear"... :)
> >
> >I'm not sure exactly what you want - but there are a couple of VNC
> >clients written in Python, btw...
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> Nelson, there is GREAT technology available in this area.  We don't
> understand your description, though.  How, for example, does VNC fail
> to meet your requirements?
>
> When you write "a picture of the desktop client", do you have in mind
> a snapshot, or a "movie"?  Do you want an image, or a "live" "mirror"?
>
> When you write, "I have a server and some clients", are you talking
> about specific applications that already exist?  Do you maintain them?
> Are they coded in Python?
>
> What you call "this two requirements" leaves much undetermined.  The
> more precisely you describe your needs, the more likely someone will
> be able to provide appropriate help.

I think he wants to be able to show the server desktop on a client (for
example, to show a user how to do something) and also be able to see a
client desktop on the server (for example, to see whether the user is
doing it correctly).

Is there and easy way to switch between showing the server on a client
and seeing a client on the server?