PythonTidy

rzed rzantow at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 20:19:28 EST 2006

Chuck Rhode <CRhode at LacusVeris.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1125.1165331060.32031.python-list at python.org:

> That went well.  PythonTidy has been looked at at least 10**2
> times, and I have received a couple of complaints, which I hope
> I have addressed satisfactorily -- plenty good enough for a beta
> test.  The basic concept stands.
>
> PythonTidy.py cleans up, regularizes, and reformats the text of
> Python scripts:
>
>   http://www.LacusVeris.com/PythonTidy/PythonTidy.python
>
> What next?  Is it appropriately submitted to the Cheese Shop?

I ran PythonTidy on a wxPython sample, and found that wx.CONSTANTS
were being translated to wx.Constants, which won't do at all.

In general, there is very little case manipulation that should be
done in a case-sensitive language; I suppose this is controllable
by one or more of the options, but it wasn't clear on casual
observation what would do the trick.

The idea of PythonTidy is not bad, but there should be a minimal
option that essentially reindents and nothing more. Adding other
style preferences should (in my opinion) be something like
checklist items. For example, I don't necessarily need a shebang
or coding line for my purposes, but without going into the code
and commenting out lines, I can't readily suppress them. As it
stands now, I can't trust PythonTidy to do the right thing on
unfamiliar code, and I can't readily try out various options by
simply activating or deactivating them; if I could, it would be
much more useful to me.

--
rzed