PythonTidy

Chuck Rhode CRhode at LacusVeris.com
Tue Dec 5 22:41:24 EST 2006

rzed wrote this on Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 08:19:28PM -0500.  My reply is
below.

> I ran PythonTidy on a wxPython sample, and found that wx.CONSTANTS
> were being translated to wx.Constants, which won't do at all.

Find the first line in the PythonTidy code where the following global
variables are declared and change them as follows:

PERSONAL = False  # This eliminates case manipulation.

> The idea of PythonTidy is not bad, but there should be a minimal
> option that essentially reindents and nothing more. ... For example,
> I don't necessarily need a shebang or coding line for my purposes,
> but without going into the code and commenting out lines, I can't
> readily suppress them.

Yes, it's too bad that PythonTidy doesn't have an *.rc file or a *.cfg
file or an *.ini file or an *.xml file or a Registry entry or a Gnome
configuration or its own graphical front end or a gob of command-line
options, but that's just the way it is.

SHEBANG = ''  # This removes the shebang line from the output.
CODING_SPEC = ''  # This removes the coding specification from the output.

> As it stands now, I can't trust PythonTidy to do the right thing on
> unfamiliar code, and I can't readily try out various options by
> simply activating or deactivating them; if I could, it would be much
> more useful to me.

PythonTidy should be run only on code that is already familiar or that
will rapidly become so in the near future.

--
.. Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
.. Weather:  http://LacusVeris.com/WX