Good Looking UI for a stand alone application

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 08:32:43 EST 2006

On 12/17/06, Christophe Cavalaria <chris.cavalaria at free.fr> wrote:
> Sandra-24 wrote:
>
> > On 12/16/06, The Night Blogger <thenightblog... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Can someone recommend me a good API for writing a sexy looking (Rich UI
> >> like WinForms) shrink wrap application
> >
> >> My requirement is that the application needs to look as good on Windows
> >> as on the Apple Mac
> >
> > wxPython or something layered on it would be the way to go. I tried all
> > the popular toolkits (except qt) and nothing else comes close for cross
> > platform gui work. Don't let people persuade you otherwise, that caused
> > me a lot of trouble.
>
> Well, you should try qt too ;)
>
> BTW, does wxWindow/wxPython have something that allows you to switch the OK
> and Cancel button position according to the current machine GUI guidelines?

Yes. See wxDialog.CreateButtonSizer, which will return a sizer
(probably, on some embedded platforms it might not create actual
buttons, see docs) that has ok/cancel buttons in the standard position
for the platform, and with the correct stock graphics and text on
those platforms that have such a concept (like Gtk/GNOME).