Why not just show the out-of-range index?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 04:55:35 EST 2006

Russ wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Nothing is going to happen until you do one of these two things. Being more rude
>> (and yes, you are being incredibly rude and insulting) won't move things along.
>
> I re-read the thread, and I don't see anywhere where I was rude except
> the other cheek" thing yet.

Learn quickly if you are going to keep asking for other people's help.

> My suggestion that it would be much easier for the Python maintainers
> than for me to implement the requested feature is just basic common
> sense. I would have to spend many hours or days just to familiarize
> myself with the code, but they are obviously already very familiar with
> it. And they would probably have to spend nearly as much time checking
> my patch as they would writing it themselves anyway.

You're still missing the other side of the balance: how much the person wants
the feature. I simply don't care enough about the issue to put in the effort
that it would take me. You don't care enough, either, to put in the effort that
it would take you. That's fine. That's your judgment to make. What's
disrespectful is your expectation that you can make that judgment call for other
people. Just because it might take me less time to do it doesn't mean that I am
obliged to want it as much as you do.

> By the way, your parenthical assertion that I am "being incredibly rude
> and insulting" is itself an unwarranted and devious insult, and I will
> not let you get away with it without being called on it.

As you wish. Insults are in the ear of the listener, not the speaker. With that
rule in mind, however, what I said is a simple statement of fact. If the
statement of facts insults you, I'm sorry. You are going to have a very
difficult time here.

You're also missing that *I'm trying to help you*. The way that you have been
acting, regardless of whether you think it is rude or not, will not convince
anyone to solve your problem.

In short, you've asked for a feature in the hope that someone will think it
important enough to do it themselves. No one who has read the thread does. At
least, not in the time frame since you've posted. That may change; in which
case, you should submit the bug report so that the core developers who didn't
read this thread (i.e. nearly all of them) will see it. Maybe they will be in a
small-feature-implementing mood and will want to implement it. If you don't
submit the bug report, odds are everyone will forget all about it.

Or you can take this as a learning opportunity, and make the fix yourself. Then
the next time you run into something like this (and I imagine that you will),
you can take the two minutes to fix it.

> But I'm
> willing to forget about it and move on, and I'll assume you are too.

Submit the bug report, and I will.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."