merits of Lisp vs Python

hit_the_lights langstefan at gmx.at
Sun Dec 10 09:51:21 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano schrieb:

>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     def import():
>              ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>

> Nope, can't shadow or change keywords. (And yes, the error message could
> be better.)

I have a very interesting Python module. Look what it does:

======= python ====================
>>> import a
>>> import b
You sucker thought I'd import b for you.
Instead I'm going to erase your hard drive.

Somehow the meaning of "import" changed between the first
and the second line. Doesn't it frighten you?
(BTW: Do you know how that works, or should a Lisper show
you?)

It seems that Phytonistas, including Guido, don't trust each
other. Guido always provides half assed restrictive solutions
instead of decent meta programming. Examples include "lambda",
the new "with" syntax and decorators.