merits of Lisp vs Python

Kirk Sluder kirk at nospam.jobsluder.net
Sun Dec 10 01:52:38 EST 2006

In article
<pan.2006.12.10.04.49.37.639429 at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au>,
 Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> That depends. If somebody smart is designing a new programming language,
> then no, you get a new programming language.
>
> If somebody not-so-smart is merely hammering the round peg of Lisp into
> the square hole of not-quite-Lisp-and-not-quite-anything-else, then yes,
> that will be a problem. But apparently, despite the talk of using macros
> to implement anything in Lisp, nobody actually does that.

Then what exactly is your argument here?

And BTW:
CL-USER> (defun + (a b))
Lock on package COMMON-LISP violated when setting fdefinition of +.
   [Condition of type SYMBOL-PACKAGE-LOCKED-ERROR]

While lisp doesn't prohibit such name conflicts, it does mean that
anyone trying it will generate a fair number of errors each time the
definition is compiled.

> > Perhaps it's because I'm a social scientist and not a programmer by
> > training, but I find many arguments for *technical* solutions to
> > *human performance* problems to be rather weak as a general
> > practice.  In some cases, using a very restrictive language may be
> > the best solution for the problem.
>
> I don't know about you, but I'm not talking about VERY restrictive
> languages -- I'm using Python, which isn't very restrictive at all. But
> even Lisp has some restrictions -- you can't jump to an arbitrary memory
> location and treat whatever random bytes are there as executable code, can
> you?

Certainly, and I've even pointed out a few that would mediate
against your claim of incompetent programmers being able to
arbitrarily shadow core functions in a way that is invisible to
anyone else.