DOS, UNIX and tabs

Tom Plunket tomas at fancy.org
Thu Dec 28 13:57:28 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> I don't know what "problems" with tabs you are talking about. I never have
> problems with tabs. *Other people* who choose to use software that doesn't
> understand tabs have problems.
>
> I've spent a lot of time reading both sides of the tabs versus spaces
> argument, and I haven't found anything yet that explains why tabs are, in
> and of themselves, bad.

Indeed.  In fact, I came to the conclusion several years ago that tabs
are in better for formatting code because then different people on the
team can have their preferred tabstop width, be it 8, 4, or 2 spaces.
Ironically, it has always seemed to me then that tabs are superior for
python editing, since mixing tabs and spaces in an environment like this
means that stuff won't run, whereas in C it'll still compile even if the
code looks awful.

-tom!