merits of Lisp vs Python

Jon Harrop jon at ffconsultancy.com
Tue Dec 12 09:16:05 EST 2006

Stephen Eilert wrote:
> So, let's suppose I now want to learn LISP (I did try, on several
> occasions). What I would like to do would be to replace Python and code
> GUI applications. Yes, those boring business-like applications that
> have to access databases and consume those new-fangled web-services and
> whatnot. Heck, maybe even code games using DirectX.
>
> So, how would I do that?

You may also be interested in related languages. I've written several
interesting programs in OCaml:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ocaml/examples.html
  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/visualisation

More recently, I've been writing F# examples:

  http://www.ffconsultancy.com/dotnet/fsharp

You can probably translate the F# demos into a Lisp for .NET without too
much difficulty.

Objective CAML for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/index.html?usenet