merits of Lisp vs Python

Robert Uhl eadmund42 at NOSPAMgmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:39:53 EST 2006

"JShrager at gmail.com" <JShrager at gmail.com> writes:

> I have the code here (probably not the latest bcs I left the company
> when it was acquired), let's do a little experiment, for what it's
> worth: 89727 lines of Lisp code in 131 modules (lisp code files), 3306
> "(defun" (by grep|wc), and 261 "(defmacro". [We did NOT use macros as
> functions!] [Note that lines of code doesn't really matter in Lisp.]

Wow--my emacs install has 1,152,598 lines of code in 1,570 files, 29,244
defuns and 1,393 defmacros.  This really doesn't prove anything
whatsoever (as I imagine that your stuff was a _lot_ more complex),
except maybe how great the FSF is for giving away this sort of thing for
free.

`We're ten parsecs from Regina, we've got a full tank of LH-two, a half
pack of cigarettes, I've dimmed the lights, and we're wearing sunglasses.'
`Let's jump.'                                             --Leslie Bates