merits of Lisp vs Python

Jan Dries jan.dries at dcube-resource.be
Mon Dec 11 10:51:41 EST 2006

Bill Atkins wrote:
> greg <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>> On the plus side, Python makes less demands on the
>> capabilities of the editor. All you really need
>> is block-shifting commands. Bracket matching is
>> handy for expressions but not vital, and you
>> certainly don't need bracket-based auto-indenting.
>
> Oh, please.  So we should restrict the power of the languages we
> choose just to make sure that our code can be edited in Notepad?

Perhaps not. The use of a decent editor seems a fair requirement for any
language. But one of the things that I dislike about Java, .NET and to
some extent XML (XML Schema for instance), is that the only way to
really be productive in these languages/environments is to use tools
that generate or otherwise manage huge amounts of code for you based on
whatever GUI settings. If the language is so complex or verbose that you
can't really use it without a GUI tool, then why bother having a
language in the first place. Furthermore these tools are typically
expensive and to run comfortably they require more processing power and
memory than the lightweight ultra-portable type laptops that I like so
much can provide.

I can't speak about Lisp, but the great thing about Python, IMHO, is
that you can get quite far with not much more than Notepad. I find this
important because I find GUIs a very tedious and ineffective way to
describe whatever it is that I am trying to implement.

Perhaps I'm just getting old ...

Regards,
Jan