merits of Lisp vs Python

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Dec 11 22:35:00 EST 2006

Bill Atkins wrote:
> You're missing Ken's point, which is that in Lisp an s-expression
> represents a single concept - I can cut out the second form of an IF
> and know that I'm cutting the entire test-form.

For selecting a single form, that's true. For
more than one form (such as selecting some, but
not all, of the statements in a loop body) it's
not much different.

But my point was that I don't find "manually
reindenting the lines" to be a chore. He made it
sound like you have to laboriously go through
and adjust the lines one by one, but it's not
like that at all. You shift them all at once
in a block.

>>Having edited both Lisp and Python code fairly
>>extensively,
>
> How extensively?

Enough to know what I'm talking about. Tens
of thousands of lines of Lisp and Scheme, and
hundreds of thousands of lines of Python, I
would estimate.

Seeing as you asked, how much Python code have
you or Ken edited?

--
Greg