Wow, Python much faster than MatLab

Beliavsky beliavsky at aol.com
Fri Dec 29 22:35:22 EST 2006

Stef Mientki wrote:
> hi All,
>
> instead of questions,
> my first success story:
>
> I converted my first MatLab algorithm into Python (using SciPy),
> and it not only works perfectly,
> but also runs much faster:
>
> MatLab: 14 msec
> Python:  2 msec

For times this small, I wonder if timing comparisons are valid. I do
NOT think SciPy is in general an order of magnitude faster than Matlab
for the task typically performed with Matlab.

> After taking the first difficult steps into Python,
> all kind of small problems as you already know,
> it nows seems a piece of cake to convert from MatLab to Python.
> (the final programs of MatLab and Python can almost only be
> distinguished by the comment character ;-)
>
> Especially I like:
> - more relaxed behavior of exceeded the upper limit of a (1-dimensional)
>   array

Could you explain what this means? In general, I don't want a
programming language to be "relaxed" about exceeding array bounds.