Starting a child process and getting its stdout?

Tom Plunket tomas at fancy.org
Sat Dec 30 01:12:58 EST 2006

Gabriel Genellina wrote:

> Did you *actually* tried what Tom Plunket posted? Two tiny chars make
> a difference.

The sad irony is that before taking off for vacation I was struggling at
work with the same problem in some sense.  I couldn't figure out why for
some processes I got all of the output right away and for others it all
got queued up 'til the process ended.  Working out a simple example for
this thread showed the light: my calling of my_process.stdout.read() was
blocking 'til EOF.  Oops.

-tom!